PREPARING FOR YOUR SESSION
PLEASE RESCHEDULE YOUR SESSION IF YOU ARE SICK. If anyone in your family has any symptoms of illness or has possible Covid exposure, please let me know so we can choose a different date! NOTE: I have received the Covid vaccine but will continue to wear a mask for newborn sessions.
HERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO KNOW FOR YOUR SESSION:
- Before the shoot, please feed baby 2-3 hours prior. If you live close to the studio, you can feed again before you leave for your session. If you live further away, you may want to wait and feed when you get here.
- Let me know if you’d like me to bring wardrobe for you for your session. (You can see my available dresses here). If you are wearing your own outfits, I recommend simple, neutral clothing to not distract from baby. White, cream, gray, and light pastels are good options. I’d avoid black and darker colors.
- I recommend avoiding bulky watches, bracelets, fitbits, etc. as they can distract from baby. If you choose to wear jewelry, dainty pieces will photograph better.
- Our goal is to keep baby asleep during the shoot, so it helps if you’re able to keep them awake for an hour or so beforehand. Try giving a bath and letting baby kick with only a diaper.
- I recommend bringing baby in a white onesie so if they are asleep when you arrive, we can grab a few shots of them before we remove their clothing. Otherwise please have baby in something loose fitting and easy to remove. (Don’t feel the need to go buy a onesie if you don’t have one – we may use it or may not depending on if baby is sleeping at the beginning.)
- Hands will likely show in your pictures so you’ll want to wear neutral or no nail polish. (For siblings, please make sure to remove chipped nail polish, temporary tattoos, etc.)
- If you have younger children, I advise bringing a snack for them in case they need a break (preferably something that won’t get on their clothes.) It’s also a good idea to bring a treat in case we need it for encouragement during the session (puffs, fruit snacks, a non staining candy, etc.)
- Sessions last about 2 hours (but may run a little longer depending on how settled baby is).
- Most importantly, DON’T STRESS! If any of the above doesn’t happen, just let it go. I’d rather you be relaxed than worry about following rules. Your baby (and your partner and other children) will feed off your energy.
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR SESSION:
- Bring neutral colored undergarments if you’re wearing wardrobe.
- If you’re using formula or pumped milk, please bring an extra bottle.
- If you can, bring a pacifier. Even if you haven’t used one, just for the time that we’re photographing the baby it usually really helps. (However if you prefer that we don’t use one, that’s fine!)
If you have any other questions before your session, please let me know!