I love both studio newborn sessions and in home lifestyle newborn sessions! If you can’t decide which is right for you, here are a few guidelines to help you make your decision.
THINGS TO CONSIDER FOR A LIFESTYLE SESSION
If you’d like your lifestyle images to look similar to what you’ve seen in my portfolio, it’s important that the aesthetic of your home is similar to my studio. Your home doesn’t need to be pinterest-perfect for a great session, but keep in mind that your home is the background for your images, so you’ll want the areas we’re shooting in to be well decorated and clutter free. Here are a few other things to think about:
- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT TO DECIDING WHETHER YOUR HOME IS RIGHT FOR A LIFESTYLE SESSION. I use natural light for my in home session, and it can be tricky to know how to tell if your room has enough light. One way is by opening up your blinds and turning off all the lights and lamps. If you can comfortably read a book with the lights off, you should have enough natural light in your space! If your room is dark, my studio space may be a better option.
- The colors and decor in your home will play a big part in the overall look of your images. Most of the images on my website and instagram are shot in bright, neutral colored, beautiful spaces. If you have darker walls, darker furniture, colorful bedding, etc., your images may not have the same light and airy feel.
NOTE: If your heart is set on an in home session, we can still achieve beautiful images in spaces that are not as neutral. Just know that they may not match my usual style. If you have questions about whether your home will be a good fit, you can send me a few snapshots of your house to look at. Some people want a lifestyle session for the convenience, but I highly recommend only choosing a lifestyle session if you have great natural lighting and well decorated spaces that you want featured in your images. Dark rooms and unfinished spaces will not allow for images similar to what you see in my work.
WHEN TO CHOOSE A LIFESTYLE SESSION
- If you want to have photos featuring your nursery or home
- We typically photograph your family in the nursery, bedroom, living room, or any area that is special to your family.
- If you are wanting more casual and relaxed poses and would like to focus on family images
- I do try to get a few solo portraits of baby during the lifestyle session, but these sessions tend to be less posed and more focused on family images.
- If you want to include pets
- If you’d like to get some photos with your pup, we can definitely try that during a lifestyle session. Younger children tend to do well in lifestyle sessions as well since they are in more familiar surroundings.
WHEN TO CHOOSE A STUDIO SESSION
- If your home is not an ideal space for a session
- If you are wanting bright and airy photos, my studio is a great option.
- If you are wanting more posed photos of baby
- I only do posed baby images in the studio, so studio sessions will include more portraits of baby than a lifestyle session. (But both session types include family and sibling photos.)
Poppy and Belle Photography is a Dallas lifestyle newborn photographer specializing in maternity, baby, and family photography in Dallas Fort Worth and surrounding areas including Highland Park, North Richland Hills, Keller, Frisco, Plano, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Benbrook, Southlake, and Colleyville..
If you are looking for a newborn photographer in Dallas/Fort Worth, I would love to start planning your session with you. To check availability or book your session, contact me here.